What goes with this?- is a great question. I love to listen to struggles about what artwork goes with different styles, because I want to help. I want to make the process easier and try to take away the stress that “getting it right” can bring.
So, I’m going to begin giving examples of mixed styles that people can have a challenge knowing what artwork to put with it. Let’s start with rustic with mid-century modern.
I have several friends who have this style, so this is what I would say are some common characterisitics:
- wooden pieces of furniture with worn edges
- mid-century end tables, dressers or desks
- rustic “found” objects or old doors/windows
- teal, mustard, shades of green and earth tones are favorite colors
- you have a thing for cotton sprigs
- you may dabble in retro patterns on your furniture
- 60’s-70’s inspired upholstered furniture may be mixed in with leather club chairs and your grandmother’s china cuppard
If these sound like you, I’ve put together a list of 10 ideas for art that will make your home look incredible.
1. Abstract Landscapes
2. Ceramic pieces glazed in your favorite colors (the
3. Collages with earth tones
4. Tree/ Sky / Bird Motif based pieces
5. Farm Inspired Photography
6. Geometrics taken from Retro graphics
7. Pastel Drawings
8. Printmaking Prints
9. Found objects/ personal pieces (can be quilts, old windows, or prints like this one below)
10. Botanical Ink Drawings
These colorful pieces will look great with any of your rustic/mid-century pieces because they are loose enough to balance out the simple lines of the furniture and will connect with the natural influences of the rustic styles.
If this is your style, I hope that this gives you lots of good ideas for what to look for that would look great with in your home.
Do you have a certain type of art that you like to put in your home? Why do you like that type?