This isn't a terribly new trend, but I do love seeing different ways art is displayed next to a bed. It's a nice way to wake up in the morning :) I also think it can add a lot of character to your room.
I wanted to look at a few ways that you can incorporate art by your nightstand (or lack thereof!):
1. Sitting on the actual nightstand, tilted against the wall
2. If the art is larger than your nightstand, you can put it off to the side (space permitting)
3. Having matching pieces hung so that the bottoms are almost touching the nighstands
4. If you have two different nightstands, you can hang art over one and not the other
5. Have two matching piece hung about a foot above the nightstand
6. Make a small gallery wall above the nightstand
7. If you have a window above your nightstand, you can hang a piece on the closest adjacent wall
8. Similar to #4, except you only have one wall for art (it's okay if it's lopsided)
9. Art work sitting on top of and hanging above nightstands
10. Incorporate art above your bed and then let it come down to either side of the bed
Do you have art by your bed? Which is your favorite way to display it?