Fireplaces are sometimes the hardest thing to figure out. They shouldn't be, but because they are usually the focal point of a room, you know everyone is going to look there first.
So it's got to look good.
To make things a little easier, I have pulled together ten ideas of what to do above and around a fireplace. Most of these involve art or mirrors because I think that impersonal, boring TV's should go beside a fireplace, not on top. However, it's your house :) That is just your friendly designer's opinion.
1. Fill up the whole wall with art (and build out the surround below it)
2. Add art with a pair of sconces on either side
3. Add a long shelf under the fireplace and then lean art against the wall
4. Put an arrangement of pieces above that spill over to the sides of the fireplace
5. Use a mirror the width of the fireplace then install a light fixture on top
6. Arrange objects on top of the mantle, utilizing 3D elements (like the candles/antlers)
7. Install wallpaper, then add art above and a few pieces to the mantle
8. Act like they do in Versailles and wrap the whole fireplace wall in mirror
9. Lean a collection of pieces on the mantle
10. Paint the whole fireplace + wall above in a bright color
What is your favorite thing to do above a fireplace? And do you put seasonal decor on the mantle year round or just at certain times of the year?